If you are new to the uPerform authoring community or need a refresher on how to create, edit or enhance your e-learning courses with simulations, videos and assessments, this session is for you! This webinar will teach authors how to edit courses and provide virtual training best practices. Join us as we walk-through a scenario fit for the spooky holiday season as we teach you how to rapidly create e-learning courses and deliver more engaging learning content for your learners.
- Basics on how to build a course using uPerform
- How to add simulations, hotspots and images
- Including PowerPoint slides and videos
- Introduction to knowledge checks
- New author resources available to your team at no additional cost
Amazon Polly is available as an add-on feature to the uPerform Cloud subscription. All other functionality included in this webinar is available with the latest version of uPerform Cloud.
- uPerform Course Creation 101 - .mp4 recording
uPerform Course Creation Resources
uPerform New Author Resources
- uPerform How-To Videos for Authors Playlist on YouTube
- uPerform How-To Videos for Administrators Playlist on YouTube
- NOTE: If your organization does not allow you to access YouTube, you can find the videos uploaded on our Intelligence Hub
- Introduction to Authoring Course on the uPerform Academy - Register for a free account to get started
- Request office hours or professional services live training for your team by submitting a ticket on the Intelligence Hub
1. Can the hotspot in a course go to an external website?
Yes, when you configure a hotspot, you can configure a pop-up message. Or you can configure it to be a web link. You just pick the web link option, put in the URL, and when the user clicks on it, they will be taken to that web page in a new browser window.
2. Is there a way to change the stencil later in the process, or is that done by inserting a new page with a different stencil?
Yes, you can use the switch stencil option. But that only works with content pages, not question stencils. If you are interested, please contact your Account Manager, or submit a ticket on the Intelligence Hub and we’ll discuss how to get started.
3. Is closed caption an option within courses?
With our tool, we offer a transcript section. So, during the editing of the audio, there is a transcript section where you can add audio text to it. And then during the playing of the course, the end user has an option to open the transcript area. Then they can read the transcript text, but closed captioning is not yet auto generated by the tool.
4. When we update a simulation will it automatically update in the course?
If you embed a simulation into an eLearning course, then, update the simulation outside of the course, since it is a separate file, you would have to update it in the course, separately as well. But if the simulation is embedded inside of the course, you will be asked if you would like to update it when the system notices any changes.
5. Can you randomize questions so that not everyone gets the same set of questions for a course?
Yes, one of the template settings for eLearning courses is to be able to randomize the questions. You will find it as a checkbox within the publication's tab, default publication settings, and course LMS settings.
6. What is the time limit on embedded videos? How long of a video can be added?
There is no time limit on embedded videos, but we do have a limit of 985 megabytes for any file that you upload onto the uPerform website.
7. Is there a way to resize images in the course editor and maintain the aspect ratio?
Yes, press control as you're resizing the image, and that will maintain the aspect ratio.
8. Is there a limit to the number of hotspots you can have on a single page?
No, there is not a limit to the number of hotspots allowed on a specific page.
9. Do you have to publish a simulation to have it work when you embed it into a course?
Technically no, but if you are embedding it into a course, the best way to do it is to choose the from server option. If you are interested, please contact your Account Manager, or submit a ticket on the Intelligence Hub and we’ll discuss how to get started.
10. Can you modify the standard, correct or incorrect responses when a user answers a question?
Yes, in the editor, right click on a question stencil and go to Edit page. And there's an option to set the correct answer response, the incorrect answer response and the multiple incorrect answer response. So three standard responses can be customized per question in the course.
11. If we create eLearning courses with other tools, can we upload those into uPerform?
Yes, as long as you can convert your course into a SCORM file, you can upload that SCORM file into the management center as a managed document, publish it, and the course will play in the Learning Library.
12. Can the assessment results be synced to my LMS?
Yes, we have a SCORM proxy solution, where you can tie together the course that's housed in the Learning Library with an entity in the LMS.
13. What is the difference between a course and a course package?
A course is a ULC file. So, it's an individual course file, where you can locally publish it to a SCORM file, and then take that scoring file and upload it into your LMS. With that, the course would live and need to be maintained in the LMS. The Course Package allows you to bundle multiple elearning courses into one SCORM file. So rather than just an individual course as its own SCORM file, you can have multiple elearning courses and bundle them together into a curriculum SCORM package, and upload that single SCORM package into the LMS.
14. Can you provide further explanation on the plus option?
Yes, so for images that you add to your course, in the upper left-hand corner, there's a little plus sign. This allows end users to view that image in its original size.
15. Can uPerform eLearning courses be built in conjunction with other tools such as Camtasia or Captivate?
If Camtasia or Captivate have an mp4 output file type then that can be embedded into the course into the video stencil. Or you can link to it. So if you take the Camtasia, Captivate course, you output it to SCORM, upload and publish it in the uPerform website. Then you can put the URL in the course so then if the user needs to reference it.